Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hottest Books, 2011 Edition

My Kindle was a godsend for me last summer while living in rural Quebec. Although speaking French, eating French food, and going to French school every day is so much fun (*cough*), it was a blessing to escape into English books every night. Sure, this was technically against the rules because the administrators wanted it to be "all French, all the time."

But since when do bad-asses like me follow rules? Without further ado, the best books I read last year!

MEMOIRS... 

I was blown away by Viktor Frankl's story of surviving the holocaust in his memoir Man's Search for Meaning. Not only does he recount his memories of Auschwitz, but also uses them to frame his inspirational philosophy: that we are all responsible for creating our own meaning in life. You go, Vik... You go.

I burned through Open by Andre Agassi and Chretien's My Years as Prime Minister. Both are honest and gripping accounts of the life of a tennis player and PM of Canada, respectively. It doesn't matter if you're not into tennis or the intricacies of the Canadian government (who is?). These books are great, period.

Then it was on to "The Heart and the Fist", the memoir of an ex-Navy Seal and Rhodes scholar. The Navy Seals undergo the most rigorous military training in the world, and Eric Greitens reflects beautifully on his experiences. If you don't buy a copy, he may just bust through your window one day and take you out.

FICTION... 
Lawrence Hill's "Any Known Blood" traces several generations of African-Canadians and their struggles with fostering a sense of identity in a society that disparages their very existence. (side note: I actually see the author around Westdale all the time!). The Game of Thrones was just epic, and only slightly eclipsed in entertainment value by The Hunger Games, about a post-apocalyptic world where one boy and one girl are selected each year to fight in a televised battle to the death. Fun stuff.  

The Poisonwood Bible is a sweeping and compelling novel about an American family that moves to a faraway land of poverty and "bare-breasted" women. And no, it's not about downtown Hamilton.


NON-FICTION...
Shortly before med school started, my reading became decidedly more medical. First was "Complications", a fantastic surgeon's memoir that reads more like a thriller novel, and then a fascinating book about the concept of neuroplasticity - how the brain can change itself.

Later in the year, I speed-listened my way through the Steve Jobs audiobook, which recounts the life and career of the quirky entrepreneur. What was Jobs' inspiration for founding Apple? "Dropping acid," he says frankly. Gee, maybe I should try that for blogging.

To wrap up the year, I devoured the Pulitzer-Prize winning "Emperor of All Maladie" - a biography of cancer. Really, it's more interesting than it sounds.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, you're such a badass, Raman. ;) I'm going to add these to my ever-growing list of must-reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im definately reading all of these :) already read Agassi ; Hunger games and Man's search for meaning

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! also, jealous that you read this much variety this year....im a lazy face in comparison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you found time to read all of this? I'm impressed! :) All I read nowdays are drugs charts and therapeutic choices

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo ive read complications and the emperor of maladies, both excellent reads. ill def try to check out the others too, tho, if I have time :S

    ReplyDelete