Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Love in the Time of Medical School

I’ve always been a romantic. In Grade 4, my friend had an enormous crush on a blonde girl in our class named Megan. He was desperate to think of a way to woo her, but too shy to approach her directly. When he asked me what he should do, I hatched a plan to write anonymous love letters on his behalf and deposit them in Megan’s locker. My friend agreed to the plan, and a couple times a week I dictated romantic messages as he scribbled them down on dollar store stationary.

As it turned out, the plan badly backfired. Megan’s friends, upon learning of the anonymous letters, teased her relentlessly and immediately suspected my friend. Megan implored him to stop writing the letters, killing off any potential for a steamy romance.

Despite this setback, romantic feelings simmered and bubbled under my surface as the years passed. I had my first dance in Grade 6 with a cute brunette and then my first date in high school. I planned our date to be dinner at a nice Indian restaurant. A couple hours before, I bought a long-stemmed rose from the local florist, washed my car and put on my nicest shirt and pants. Pulling in front of her house, I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

Her father answered. Shocked, I hid the rose behind my back and proceeded to talk with him for 5 minutes. Please, please don’t ask me what I’m hiding behind my back. Then you’ll know how lame I am, I thought. Once the girl finally came out and her father disappeared, I gave her the rose and she took a good whiff… I think she liked it. It was a lovely evening.

Unfortunately, once I entered university and became hyper-focused on getting into med school, my romantic life quickly fell by the wayside. I think the most romantic thing I did in undergrad was watch a rerun of The Notebook with my mom. Sadly, this trend looks to continue in medical school, as I find most of my time consumed with respiratory structures, cadavers and freaky medical disorders.

And yet I feel a constant undercurrent of desire for romantic love. It’s probably one of the most basic, primal needs one could have. Intellectually I know that I’m headed towards a nice career, and I live in a nice house with a caring family and great supports. I have many varied interests that I enjoy, like badminton and writing. I don’t want for any material goods.

But there’s something missing: the feeling of intimacy and closeness on a level much deeper than friendship. So many of our interactions on a daily basis are superficial and meaningless; the average “Hi! How are you?”

Love pierces this layer of superficiality. Two people in love know one other better than anyone else in the world; each other’s secrets, dreams and all the emotions, neuroses and vulnerabilities usually kept well hidden from the world. I believe a couple crosses the threshold of simply loving each other to falling in love when they form a powerful bond that is nearly unshakeable by any external force.

A man truly in love is the man who marries his fiancée even after she has been horribly disfigured in an accident. Or a woman who stays faithful to her husband through years of war.

The idea of establishing this deep connection with someone else seems like an incredible dream to me. One day I hope it comes true.