Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Inner Beauty

I’ve never enjoyed going into the anatomy lab, and the times when I do, it's usually only out of necessity. The sight of shriveled, gray cadavers and prosected organs bathed in formaldehyde – a powerful, odorous preservative – makes my stomach uneasy. And so it was with a sense of resignation that I put on my lab coat on Wednesday and went to the lab for a dissection. I washed my hands, snapped on a pair of rubber gloves and waited with nervous apprehension for whatever specimen was about to be plunked down on our table.

The lab coordinator walked over to my group with a metal tray bearing a pair of pig’s lungs and heart, which closely resemble their human counterparts. Unlike the preserved specimens, these organs were fresh, plump with hydration and gleaming red. My instant reaction: Wow, these are beautiful!

Even though our objective was to dissect the heart, I was far more fascinated by the lungs. I detached them with a few well-aimed slices and moved them over to my side of the tray. They are so incredibly soft that they jiggle when you prod them with your finger. The trachea, our windpipe, plunges through the top and separates into two main "bronchi", which further split into countless "bronchioles" with hundreds of millions of alveoli at their tips - microscopic sacs of air that exchange gases with the blood. I tried tearing an opening in the pleura (the membrane that bounds the lungs) with my hands - but it was incredibly tough,  the product of millions of years of evolution.

Fortunately the pleura stood no chance against my medical scissors. I cut through the lower right lobe like a knife through butter, revealing tiny air passages. Squeezing on the lobe, I felt an infinite number of little “pops” under my finger pads, the sensation of the delicate alveoli collapsing.

Our lungs have their own little universe within them, an intricate mosaic of airways, nerves and air sacs that sustain our breathing for our entire lives.

Later that day, on my car's radio, I listened to Christina Aguilera sing passionately about how we are all beautiful inside.

I couldn't agree more.